Policy on Competitive Federal Graduate Fellowship Awards

Title: Policy on Competitive Federal Graduate Fellowship Awards
Policy Owner: Vice President for Research/Vice Provost for Graduate Education and Dean
Applies to: Students
Campus Applicability:  All Campues excluding the School of Law. Includes Masters/PhD. programs at UConn Health
Effective Date: July 17, 2013
For More Information, Contact Office of the Vice Provost for Graduate Education and Dean
Contact Information: (860) 486-2182
Official Website: http://grad.uconn.edu/


  1. The University is committed to enhancing the number of nationally competitive fellowships and awards from federal sources.
  2. While these awards provide students with a full fellowship or trainee stipend, and payment of some portion of tuition and health insurance premiums, there is often a significant shortfall in the award for coverage of the total cost of tuition and health insurance premiums.
  3. The University has developed this policy to fund the difference between the amount awarded (by the granting agency) and the actual cost to the trainee for tuition and health insurance premiums.  The University will provide such supplementation for tuition and health benefits to students who qualify for any competitive federal fellowships, awards and/or training grants.  Examples include:
    • Dept of Ed Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Need (GAANN)
    • Dept of Ed Jacob K. Javits Fellowships
    • Dept of Transportation Eisenhower Graduate Fellowships
    • EPA STAR Grants
    • Fulbright Fellowships
    • NASA Graduate Research Fellowships
    • National Academies Ford Fellowships
    • National Defense Science & Engineering Grad Fellowships (NDSEGF)
    • NIH Fellowships for Students with Disabilities
    • NIH Minority Fellowships
    • NIH National Research Service Award (NRSA)
    • NIH Training Grants
    • NIOSH/CDC Training Grants
    • NSF Graduate Research Fellowships
    • NSF Integrative Grad Education and Research Traineeship (IGERT) Grants
    • USDA National Needs GrantsFor questions about eligibility of non-federally funded national fellowships or grants, please contact the Office of the Vice President for Research (VPR).
  4. The PI must apply for any cost of education (tuition and fees) and the health insurance premium allowance permitted for that award.  Any institutional allowance or educational allowance accompanying these awards (e.g. NRSA) must first be used to cover tuition, then health insurance premiums, and university fees.  Where the institutional allowance or educational allowance is provided directly to the university (e.g. GAANN), these funds will be deposited in the Office of the VPR.  The tuition, health benefits, etc. will be paid from that fund.If funds are available after payment of tuition, health insurance premiums and university fees (if allowed by the grant), they can be used to cover any educational allowance specifically identified in the sponsor guidelines for research supplies, equipment, books, travel to meetings, etc.
  5. The health insurance premium co-pays for individual (or the individual and his/her dependents) will not exceed those charged to graduate assistants on the graduate assistant health plan.
  6. Unless otherwise disallowed, out-of-state students supported on a fellowship, award and/or training grant must apply for in-state residency status by the end of the first year. After the first year, only the equivalent of the in-state tuition rate will be covered if the student remains an out-of-state student.  The difference will be the student’s responsibility.
  7. Please note that it is not the intention of this policy to supplement university fees.  University fees may be paid up to the maximum allowable from the grant if budgeted as an allowable cost on the award.  If there is a shortfall in the grant award for fees, the responsibility to pay the balance will reside with the student.

Applying for In-State Residency

Graduate students who wish to apply for in-state residency status should submit the Application for In-State Tuition form to:

UConn Graduate Admissions Office
Residency Officer
The Graduate School
438 Whitney Road Ext. U-1152
Storrs, CT 06269

The application is available at https://grad.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/1635/2015/04/instatetuition.pdf.