Academic Program Approval Process

Title: Academic Program Approval Process
Policy Owner: Office of the Provost
Applies to: Faculty, Staff
Campus Applicability: Storrs, Regionals and UConn Health
Effective Date: May 23, 2016
For More Information, Contact The Office of the Provost
Contact Information: (860) 486-4037
Official Website:


The Provost’s Office provides the following process for the approval of a new academic program:

  1. Academic Department (or Non-Departmentalized School) institutes program proposal;
    • The Department must identify an appropriate CIP-code. (It is recommended that departments consult with the Provost’s Office, who will confirm that the code is appropriate for federal reporting and the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) with the Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness (OIRE) and International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS), respectively.)
  2. Department and School/College approves program proposal (attach applicable Course and Curriculum Committee minutes);
    • Interdisciplinary programs often require broader approvals.
      1. Indications of support from participating departments are needed (a faculty vote or department head approval).
      2. School and College C&C approval is needed for all new courses proposed as part of a new interdisciplinary program.
      3. A School or College serves as the “academic home” for interdisciplinary programs involving programs within that School or College. Approval by the School or College C&C is needed for interdisciplinary programs within that School or College.
      4. The Graduate School serves as the “academic home” for interdisciplinary graduate programs that cross Schools and Colleges. School and College C&C approval is needed for all new courses proposed as part of such a program, but School and College C&C approval is not needed for the entire program.
  3. Dean of School/College discusses priorities, enrollment, funding, library resources, and other operational and programmatic issues with the Provost’s Office;
  4. Based on the discussion with the Provost’s Office, a complete program proposal is developed;
    • Graduate programs and certificates should be reviewed by the Center for Excellence in Teaching in Learning to ensure that market and audience demand analysis is performed and modality of program (in-person/online/hybrid) is appropriate.
  5. Proposal forwarded to either the Graduate School for a graduate program or the Provost’s Office for an undergraduate program (attach applicable minutes);
    • Before seeking approvals at this level, The Graduate School will share graduate program proposals with the University Libraries, and the Provost’s Office will share undergraduate proposals with the University Libraries.
    • New undergraduate majors will be sent to the Undergraduate Education Review Committee by the Provost’s Office.
  6. Approved program forwarded to the Council of Deans and then placed on the UConn Board of Trustees (BOT) agenda;
  7. Academic Affairs Committee of the UConn Board of Trustees considers the new program proposal;
  8. Board of Trustees considers the new program proposal (attach signed BOT resolution);
  9. Provost’s Office informs Office of Higher Education of new program. The Office of Higher Education adds the new program to UConn’s program inventory.
  10. Provost’s Office provides final program information, including OHE inventory number and CIP-code, with the Graduate School, Registrar, OIRE, Bursar, Financial Aid, ISSS, CETL, University Libraries, and the applicable academic units.

Forms & Templates

As of July 1, 2013, the University of Connecticut no longer seeks approval from the Office of Higher Education or the Board of Regents for new or modified academic programs. Instead, after Board of Trustees approval, the University will inform the Office of Higher Education of any new or modified programs, and the State program inventory will be updated accordingly.

Catalog Processing Forms

When creating, changing, or merging a department name, interdisciplinary minor, or a subject area, the following forms should be used:

If a school or college is considering creating an entirely new department (or merging or dividing existing departments), please contact the Provost’s Office for instructions.

Contact Information

Please contact Sarah Croucher ( / 860.486.5630) in the Provost’s Office  with any questions.

Policy History


January 7, 2019

May 23, 2016

October 24, 2014
January 10, 2014 (Substantial revisions based on 2013 legislative change described above)
July 13, 2012
April 2010
June 12, 2008
January 17, 2006
February 25, 2003