|Title:||Tuition Discount Policy|
|Policy Owner:||Office of the Provost|
|Applies to:||Outside Entities Meeting the Criteria within the Policy|
|Campus Applicability:||Storrs and Regional Campuses|
|Effective Date:||June 28, 2012|
|For More Information, Contact||Office of the Provost|
|Contact Information:||(860) 486-4037|
The University of Connecticut recognizes that establishing partnerships with other entities may
be beneficial to the University and enhance the University’s ability to fulfill its mission. One
form of partnership can be a relationship in which another entity sponsors the education of
multiple University students, particularly when that sponsorship is coupled with other
relationships between the University and the entity.
Accordingly, it is the policy of the Board of Trustees to permit the University to enter into
Tuition Discount Agreements with other entities provided that such Agreements meet the following
- Parties: The University of Connecticut and any business or nonprofit entity.
- Discount Permitted: Up to five percent (5%). The Agreement may specify a maximum total
dollar discount for the life of the Agreement.
- Discount applicable to: Graduate Tuition and Fee Equivalents approved by the Board of Trustees.
- Programs eligible: Regular academic degree programs offered by any school or department of the
University but not including undergraduate programs.
- Minimum Expenditure: In order to be eligible, the contracting entity must have spent at least one
million dollars in a prior fiscal year in Tuition and Fee Equivalents for graduate and
undergraduate education. The Tuition Discount Agreement can then be entered into for the following
- Maximum Duration: Agreements shall be for a maximum term of two (2) years but may be renewed with
Board approval. The Agreement may provide for a limit on the total aggregate dollar discount for
the life of the Agreement.
- Early termination: Each Agreement may provide that if the amount of Tuition and Fee Equivalents
incurred by the contracting entity before discount falls below one million dollars in a particular
year or on a rolling average basis, that the University may cancel the Agreement for subsequent
- Application of the discount: The discount will be applied at the time of registration. The
Agreement shall provide a mechanism for assuring that the tuition has been paid by the contracting
- In determining whether or not to enter into an Agreement, the University will take into account
whether the entity has demonstrated a commitment to support the University through past
philanthropy, providing student internships, collaboration on research, entering into fee for
service arrangements or in other ways.
All such Agreements must be approved by the Board of Trustees before they are effective. Nothing in
this policy creates a right in any entity, nor an obligation on the University, to enter into such
Agreement. The Board of Trustees retains sole discretion with regard to all proposed