|Title:||Purchases Made Using Outside Funds|
|Policy Owner:||Procurement Services|
|Applies to:||Faculty and Staff|
|Campus Applicability:||All campuses, including UConn Health|
|Effective Date:||November 1, 2017|
|For More Information, Contact||Director of Procurement Services|
|Contact Information:||(860) 486-1094|
REASON FOR POLICY
Most of UConn’s purchases are made with State and Certain Other Institutional Funds (defined below). But some purchases are made with funds that come from other sources. This Policy is established pursuant to Section 2(b)(1)(A) and Section 3 of Public Act 17-130, which authorizes UConn to develop policies for purchases that do not involve the expenditure of State and Certain Other Institutional Funds. Funds other than State and Certain Other Institutional Funds are referred to in this Policy as “Outside Funds.”
Outside Funds include federal and philanthropic grants, sponsored research and other sources.
The purpose of this Policy is to establish a framework for procedures pursuant to which UConn can enter into contracts using Outside Funds. Outside Funds are used to assist UConn in pursuing its teaching, research, clinical, public service, and economic development missions. Those missions are vital to discovery, innovation, and job creation in the State of Connecticut. Using Outside Funds effectively and prudently will help UConn fulfill its missions. It will also help UConn more successfully compete with other institutions for Outside Funds.
Faculty and staff on all campuses, including UConn Health.
“Funder” is the provider of Outside Funds to UConn.
“Outside Funds” are funds other than State and Certain Other Institutional Funds.
“Purchase” is the purchase of equipment, supplies, or services, or the lease of personal property.
“Simplified Acquisition Threshold” is a threshold set by the Federal Government for purchasing goods and services in a manner that, as stated in Section 13.002 of the Federal Acquisition Regulations, “[p]romote[s] efficiency and economy in contracting” and “avoid[s] unnecessary burdens.” The Simplified Acquisition Threshold is set in Subpart 2.1 of the Federal Acquisition Regulations and is currently $150,000.
“State and Certain Other Institutional Funds” has the same meaning as in Section 2(a)(5) of Public Act 17-130, which meaning is (i) funds appropriated or bonds authorized by the General Assembly; (ii) revenue generated from tuition; (iii) funds collected from student fees, housing fees or dining services; (iv) revenue generated from athletic sponsorship deals or ticket sales; and (v) revenue collected from the clinical operations of The University of Connecticut Health Center and the John Dempsey Hospital.
- The President or the President’s designee shall adopt procedures for entering into contracts for Purchases with Outside Funds, including identifying vendors for such Purchases. Such procedures shall be consistent with this Policy.
- UConn shall make Purchases with Outside Funds in a manner consistent with applicable law, provided that the following shall be exempt from CGS §10a-151b(b) and regulations adopted pursuant to CGS §4e-47:
- Purchases from vendors selected through a process prescribed by the Funder. The procedures adopted pursuant this Policy shall include a method for documenting the Funder’s prescribed process in advance of purchases.
- Purchases up to the Simplified Acquisition Threshold. UConn shall request quotations from at least three prospective vendors before making such purchases.
- The procedures adopted pursuant this Policy shall include a method for reporting any contract exempted under Paragraph B of this Policy that is entered into or amended. As required by Section 3(b) of Public Act 17-130, not later than January 1, 2018, and annually thereafter, such report shall be submitted to the joint standing committees of the General Assembly having cognizance of matters relating to higher education and government administration.
Violations of this Policy may result in appropriate disciplinary measures in accordance with University Laws and By-Laws, General Rules of Conduct for All University Employees, applicable collective bargaining agreements, and the University of Connecticut Student Code.
Procurement- Sourcing Procedure 2.1
Approved by the Board of Trustees, November 1, 2017