|Title:||Pre-Employment Criminal Background Check Policy|
|Policy Owner:||Department of Human Resources and Office of Faculty and Staff Labor Relations|
|Applies to:||Faculty, Staff, Others|
|Campus Applicability:||Storrs and Regional Campuses|
|Effective Date:||January 8, 2014|
|For More Information, Contact||Department of Human Resources|
|Contact Information:||(860) 486-3034|
The University of Connecticut prides itself on hiring qualified employees who are prepared to work in the best interests of the University and its students. Pre-employment criminal background checks serve as an important element of the University’s ongoing efforts to ensure a safe and secure campus and workplace. Criminal history information can identify prospective employees who may be predisposed to engage in violence, sexual misconduct, misappropriate of resources, identity theft, data breaches and other misconduct.
This policy applies to the following:
- All full-time and part-time final candidates for employment in regular payroll positions (faculty, professional, and classified).
- All individuals selected for temporary appointments as Adjunct Faculty, Special Payroll Lecturers, and Instructional Specialists that are not dually employed at the University or that have had a break in University service for more than two consecutive semesters.
At the specific request of the hiring department, other prospective special payroll appointments or volunteers may be subject to a criminal background check when the special payroll or volunteer position is a position of trust or when required by law to perform a criminal background check.
Employees who are already employed at the University and apply for transfer or promotion are not covered by this Policy.
It will be a condition of employment at the University of Connecticut to submit to a criminal background check. Offers of employment will be conditional pending the result of a background check, which shall include, at a minimum, the following:
- Social Security Number Verification / Past Address Trace
- Statewide criminal history (where applicable)
- County Criminal
- National Criminal
- Federal Criminal
- Statewide Sex Offender
- Nationwide Sex Offender
- International Criminal (where applicable)
Pre-Employment criminal background checks will be centrally administered by the Department of Human Resources.
Pre-employment criminal background checks and the use of criminal history information will be in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations.
Procedures on the pre-employment criminal background check process are available at: http://hr.uconn.edu/cbc/