|Title:||Alcoholic Beverage Sales and Service, Policy on|
|Policy Owner:||Department of Dining Services|
|Applies to:||Students, Employees, Others|
|Campus Applicability:||All Campuses|
|Effective Date:||October 23, 2017|
|For More Information, Contact||Department of Dining Services or
|Contact Information:||(860) 486-3128 (Storrs/Regional Campuses)
(860) 679-4177 (UConn Health)
To provide specific requirements for the sale and/or service of alcoholic beverages at University sponsored events.
This policy does not apply to non-University on-campus entities (such as the University of Connecticut Foundation and the Nathan Hale Inn) or off campus Athletic venues.
University Sponsored Events: An official activity, function or meeting operated and/or financially supported by the University of Connecticut, whether on- or off-campus.
Permanent Installation: A permanent foodservice operated by the Department of Dining Services on a Regional Campus.
Alcohol Service on University Campuses: The Department of Dining Services is the sole liquor permit-holder on University campuses with a Permanent Installation, and is solely responsible for ensuring the proper service of alcohol at any on-campus University Sponsored Event where a Permanent Installation exists. Campuses with a Permanent Installation must use the Department of Dining Services to serve alcohol. At campuses without a Permanent Installation (except UConn Health) departments must seek approval from the Department of Dining Services to use an alternate service. Requests must be approved in writing by the Department of Dining Services. At UConn Health, requests must be approved in writing by the Dean of the School of Medicine, the Dean of the School of Dental Medicine, or the Chief Administrative Officer, as appropriate.
Alcohol Service at Off-Campus University Sponsored Events: If alcohol is to be served at an off-campus University Sponsored Event, the individuals responsible for event planning must ensure that the sale and/or service of alcohol complies with this policy.
Sales and Service of Alcoholic Beverages
Alcoholic beverages may be possessed, served, sold or consumed at a University Sponsored Event or Permanent Installation only under the following conditions:
- In no circumstances may alcohol be purchased with University funds or Trustee student organization fees, either directly or indirectly. For example, funds used to purchase food or cover facility fees may never subsidize the purchase of alcohol.
- Service and sale of alcoholic beverages is covered by an appropriate liquor permit. At campuses with a Permanent Installation, this is the Department of Dining Services’ liquor permit. At campuses without a Permanent Installation, including UConn Health, this is an approved vendor or caterer’s liquor permit.
- Alcohol servers are TIPS (Training for Intervention Procedures) certified.
- Alcoholic beverages are served as a complement to a planned program or event with a legitimate University business purpose.
- Alcoholic beverage service is accompanied by food service and non-alcoholic beverage alternatives in amounts sufficient for all attendees.
Additional restrictions include:
- Alcohol service is prohibited in academic buildings while classes are in session in that building. At UConn Health, exceptions must be approved in writing by the appropriate Dean or the Chief Administrative Officer.
- University employees may not host department meetings or gatherings on campus and supply their own alcohol.
- At campuses with a Permanent Installation, all alcohol service must be arranged, purchased, and served by the Department of Dining Services. External caterers may not provide alcohol on these campuses.
- No alcoholic beverages may be served for any group of students of the University, or for any function, where it is reasonable to expect consumption by persons under the age of twenty-one years.
Campuses without the Presence of the Department of Dining Services
If alcohol is to be served at a University Sponsored Event at a campus without a Permanent Installation (except UConn Health), the individuals responsible for event planning must first submit a request for approval to the Department of Dining Services. This form is located at https://dining.uconn.edu/alcohol-request-form/. At UConn Health, requests must be submitted using this form and approved by the Dean of the School of Medicine, the Dean of the School of Dental Medicine, or the Chief Administrative Officer, as appropriate.
Exceptions to this policy may be granted by the Office of the President. At all times, any entity serving alcohol on campus must have the appropriate liquor permit.
This policy is intended to complement existing University policy regarding alcohol, including but not limited to, the General Rules of Conduct, Student Code, and the University Policy on Alcohol and Other Drugs.
Violations of these policies may result in appropriate disciplinary measures in accordance with University By-Laws, General Rules of Conduct for All University Employees, applicable collective bargaining agreements, and the University of Connecticut Student Code. Depending on the nature and severity of the violations, additional sanctions may be enacted.