|Title:||Review Process for Deans|
|Policy Owner:||Office of the Provost|
|Effective Date:||January 2, 2004|
|For More Information, Contact||Office of the Provost|
|Contact Information:||(860) 486-4037|
Application: This process applies to Deans, and not their direct reports, although Deans may choose to use this process for their direct reports.
Timing: As is true for all senior administrators, Deans are routinely subject to formal review every five years. This review normally occurs at the beginning of the fifth year of a five-year appointment. Deans may be appointed for multiple subsequent five-year terms, with formal reviews occurring every five years.
Process Oversight: The Provost shall be responsible for the review of the Deans. The Provost may delegate the supervisory function for carrying out reviews to a direct report.
- Review Committee. To carry out each formal review of a Dean, a Review Committee chaired by another Dean shall gather information and report it to the Provost. In addition to the Chair, each Review Committee shall be comprised of approximately six individuals: two chosen directly by the Provost, two elected by the college/school faculty in a fashion approved jointly by the Provost and the administrative governing body of the college/school, one chosen by the Provost from a list submitted by the University Senate Executive Committee, and one selected by the Provost from a list submitted by the Dean under review.
- Review Process. The Chair of the Review Committee shall carry out the administrator review process. This process shall include the following components:
- Receipt of a statement and report of accomplishment from the Dean
- Dissemination of a confidential survey and solicitation of written comments from college/school faculty and staff, and relevant university and external constituencies, with compilation of the results
- Conduct by Committee members of interviews with relevant individuals, including direct reports such as department heads, external constituencies, students, and such faculty and staff as the Review Committee deems appropriate
- Other information agreed upon between the Review Committee and the Provost
- Review Outcome
- The Review Committee shall serve as a fact-finding and advisory committee to the Provost. At the conclusion of the review process, it shall meet with the Provost to report its findings.
- The final decision on reappointment of a Dean resides with the Provost.