|Policy Owner:||Department of Human Resources; the Office of Faculty & Staff Labor Relations; the Division of Environmental Health and Safety|
|Applies to:||Faculty, Staff, Students, Others|
|Campus Applicability:||All Campuses except UConn Health|
|Effective Date:||June 7, 2016|
|For More Information, Contact||Department of Human Resources or the Office of Faculty & Staff Labor Relations|
|Contact Information:||(860) 486-5684 or 8478|
|Official Website:||http://hr.uconn.edu or http://lr.uconn.edu|
Reason for the Policy
The University of Connecticut recognizes that tobacco use is a leading cause of preventable illness, disease and death in the United States and that exposure to second-hand smoke also contributes significantly to preventable illness, disease and death. This policy is in keeping with the University’s goal to provide a safe and healthy working and learning environment and it ensures compliance with Connecticut General Statute 31-40q(d) and 19a-342.
Smoking is prohibited:
- In all University owned or leased buildings, facilities and vehicles.
- Within 25 feet of all campus buildings, including residence halls.
Signage communicating this policy must be posted within 10 feet of all building entries.
For the purposes of this policy, “smoking” includes all tobacco-derived or containing products, including and not limited to, cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, cigars, pipes and similar products.
All University employees, students, visitors, guests and contractors are required to comply with this policy. Organizers of public events, such as conferences, meetings, public lectures, social events, and cultural events using campus facilities will be mindful of this Policy and encourage compliance.
Individuals in management or supervisory roles are responsible for communicating the policy to their employees and enforcing the policy in their respective area(s). Those rare instances where an individual refuses to comply with this policy after being warned by the appropriate University officials should be handled in accordance with the status of the individual involved as follows:
- Students should be referred to the Office of Community Standards for appropriate action. Please contact the Office of Community Standards at 860-486-8402 with questions.
- Employees should be dealt with by the appropriate supervisor through the application of progressive discipline in accordance with the applicable collective bargaining agreement. Please contact the Office of Faculty & Staff Labor Relations, 860-486-5684 with questions concerning how to deal with employee violations of this policy.
- Contractors should be referred to their respective employers, Project Managers and/or Procurement for appropriate action. Contact Procurement Services at 860-486-2619 with questions.
No person who makes a complaint of a violation of this policy or who furnishes information concerning a violation of this policy shall be retaliated against in any manner.
Violations of this policy may result in appropriate disciplinary measures in accordance with University By-Laws, General Rules of Conduct for All University Employees, applicable collective bargaining agreements, and the Student Code.
 For all new construction/major renovation buildings that will be registered for Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) certification, smoking is prohibited in the building AND outside of the building except in designated exterior smoking areas. Those designated areas must be located at least 25 feet away from building openings (entries, windows, air intakes). For more information on the University’s commitment to sustainable design and construction, visit http://policy.uconn.edu/?p=3543.