|Title:||Student-Athlete Name, Image, and Likeness, Policy On|
|Policy Owner:||University Athletics|
|Applies to:||All Student-Athletes and University Employees|
|Campus Applicability:||All Campuses|
|Effective Date:||June 30, 2021|
|Last Review Date:||May 2, 2022|
|For More Information, Contact||Director of Athletics|
|Contact Information:||(860) 486-2725|
To establish a policy pursuant to which University of Connecticut (“University”) student-athletes are permitted by the University to (1) earn compensation through an endorsement contract or employment in an activity unrelated to an intercollegiate athletic program; and (2) obtain legal or professional representation of an attorney or sports agent through a written agreement, provided that in each case, the student-athlete complies with the terms and conditions of this policy and applicable law.
All student-athletes and University Employees.
Athletics booster means a person who directly contributes to a University athletic program.
Compensation means the receipt, whether directly or indirectly, of any cryptocurrency, money, goods, services, other items of value, in kind contributions and any other form of payment or remuneration.
Endorsement contract means a written agreement under which a student-athlete is employed or receives compensation for the use by another party of such student-athlete's person, name, image or likeness in the promotion of any product, service or event.
Intercollegiate athletic program means a program at the University for sports played at the collegiate level for which eligibility requirements for participation by a student-athlete are established by a national association for the promotion or regulation of college athletics.
NCAA means the National Collegiate Athletic Association or its successor.
Official team activities means all games, practices, exhibitions, scrimmages, team appearances, team photograph sessions, sports camps sponsored by the University and other team-organized activities, including, but not limited to, photograph sessions, news media interviews, and other related activities as specified by the University.
Prohibited endorsements means receipt of compensation by, or employment of, a student-athlete for use of the student-athlete's person, name, image or likeness (“NIL”) in association with any product, category of companies, brands, or types of endorsement contracts that are: (1) prohibited by law; (2) prohibited by this policy; or (3) prohibited under the applicable University procedures adopted in accordance with this policy.
Sports agent means a duly licensed person who negotiates or solicits a contract on behalf of a student-athlete in accordance with the Sports Agent Responsibility and Trust Act, 15 USC 7801, et seq., as amended from time to time.
Student-athlete means a student enrolled at the University who participates in an intercollegiate athletic program.
University marks means the name, logo, trademarks, mascot, unique colors, copyrights and other intellectual property or defining insignia of the University.
The University shall permit its student-athletes to (1) earn compensation through an endorsement contract or employment in an activity unrelated to an intercollegiate athletic program and (2) obtain legal or professional representation of an attorney or sports agent through a written agreement, provided that the student-athlete complies with this policy and applicable law.
I. Agreements for Representation by a Sports Agent or an Attorney
- A student-athlete may only enter into an agreement for representation with a sports agent if the student-athlete submits a copy of the agreement to the University.
- A student-athlete may only enter into an agreement for representation with an attorney if the student-athlete submits a copy of the agreement to the University.
II. Endorsement Contracts and Agreements for Employment Activities
A student-athlete may only enter into an endorsement contract or agreement for other employment activities if:
- the student-athlete discloses the existence of the agreement to the University;
- the student-athlete submits a copy of the agreement to the University prior to the student-athlete performing any activity or service under the agreement;
- the agreement, or any portion thereof, does not conflict with the provisions of any agreement to which the University is a party. In the event that a potential conflict is identified, the University shall disclose to the student-athlete or the student-athlete's attorney or sports agent the provisions of the University agreement that are in conflict; and
- the student-athlete is not required to participate or engage in any activity prohibited by Section III of this policy.
- Student-athletes are prohibited from using or consenting to the use of any University marks when performing any services or activity associated with an endorsement contract or employment activity without prior written permission from the University or its authorized designee.
- Student-athletes are prohibited from performing any service or activity associated with an endorsement contract or employment activity that interferes with any official team activities or academic obligations.
- University employees are prohibited, in their individual capacity, from entering into endorsement contracts with any student-athlete or otherwise providing compensation themselves to a student-athlete in return for NIL services.
- University employees, students, and athletic boosters are, to the extent required under NCAA rules, prohibited from creating or facilitating NIL compensation opportunities for prospective student-athletes as a recruiting inducement or current student-athletes as an inducement to remain enrolled at the University.
- Student-athletes are prohibited from receiving compensation from, entering into an endorsement contract with, and/or otherwise engaging in an employment activity with companies, brands, products, conduct, and/or entertainment prohibited under University procedures adopted in accordance with this policy.
University of Connecticut Student-Athlete’s Name, Image, and Likeness Procedures
Violations of this Policy or associated procedures may result in appropriate disciplinary measures in accordance with state law, University Laws and By-Laws, and Division of Athletics Student Athlete Handbook.
Policy created effective June 30, 2021 [Approved by the Board of Trustees]
Revisions: May 2, 2022 [Approved by President’s Senior Policy Council]
 In accordance with Connecticut law, the University is prohibited from providing any student with written permission until July 1, 2022.
 This prohibition extends to communication with family members and others affiliated with prospective students.